The Smyles Comm-biner is a quality stereo audio interface developed by sound mixer Tony Smyles that combines production audio and walkie-talkie audio so both can be monitored via headphones. It is particularly suited to the world of reality and documentary production, but is useful in any situation where walkie-talkies must be monitored as well as production audio.
What are the advantages of the Smyles Comm-biner, you ask?
• No need to block one ear with an uncomfortable surveillance tube, compromising your headphone sound in that ear.
Both ears are open, so you hear everything through headphones, and "in stereo." Likewise, if you use in-ear monitors,
you do not have to try to figure out how to get the walkie surveillance tube and your in-ear monitor in the same ear.
• It can be fed by any audio source, from a professional mixer/recorder or camera, to an IFB receiver or Comtek, to an
iPhone/iPad/iPod, or the like.
• Use your own headphones or in ear monitors. No more dreadful worry about how well the P.A.'s are sterilizing the
ear-wax laden surveillance headsets after a month of shooting twelve hour days.
• No surveillance tube to clog up - A transducer and tube are included, however, for those times when you do not want
to wear headphones, such as lunch time.
• You can select if you want the walkie-talkie feed in the left, right, or both ears.
• Stereo-mono DIP switch: STEREO mode offers normal stereo monitoring of production audio with the walkie feeding
the Left, Right, or both channels as set by the L/R DIP switches. In MONO mode, the stereo input is mixed to mono
and fed only to the left channel. This is useful for camera operators who want to wear a single mono earpiece.
Additionally, the "ring" of the headphone jack is lifted so a mono earpiece will not short out the right channel feed.
• Completely passive signal chain - no power needed.
• The Comm-biner is hand-crafted in the USA, and covered by a 1 YEAR WARRANTY from the manufacturer.
The Smyles Comm-biner includes:
• The Smyles Comm-biner walkie-audio interface
• One surveillance set with detachable transducer and surveillance tube
• One mini-mini jumper for mixer/camera out to Comm-biner input